Thursday, 1 April 2021 / Topics:
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
120g Medjool dates, pitted and roughly chopped
1 teaspoon bicarb soda
120g self-raising flour, sifted
2 teaspoons ground ginger
½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
50g unsalted butter, at room temperature, cubed
100g brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla bean extract
1 egg, at room temperature
½ cup crème fraiche
For the butterscotch sauce:
100ml thickened cream
¼ cup brown sugar
30g unsalted butter
pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (fan-forced). Grease four one-cup capacity oven-proof ramekins.
2. Place dates and bicarb soda in a small bowl. Pour over 100mL boiling water. Set aside for 15 minutes.
3. Combine flour, ground ginger and walnuts in a medium bowl. In a separate medium bowl, beat butter and brown sugar with electric beaters for 4-5 minutes or until pale and creamy. Add egg and vanilla and beat until incorporated. Fold through flour and date mixtures. Divide batter between prepared ramekins. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
4. Meanwhile, make the butterscotch sauce. Place cream, brown sugar and butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, until sauce comes to the boil. Season with a pinch of salt.
5. Turn puddings out onto serving plates. Top with a dollop of crème fraiche and drizzle over butterscotch sauce.
Sign up to our mailing list to hear about upcoming events, classes, promotions and much more.