Thursday, 1 April 2021 / Topics:
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
500g Pork mince
2 Tablespoons fennel seeds
Pinch of salt
1 Tablespoon olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons extra
1 Brown onion, finely chopped
1 Fennel, fronds picked, bulb thinly sliced
1 Red chilli, thinly sliced
4 Garlic cloves, thinly sliced
½ Bunch of basil, stems finely chopped, leaves picked
700mL Tomato passata
2 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
80g Parmesan, finely grated
1L Reduced-salt chicken stock
⅔ Cup instant polenta
2 Cups rocket
Juice of half a lemon
1. Preheat oven to 200˚C.
2. Place pork mince, one tablespoon fennel seeds and a pinch of salt in a large bowl. Use clean hands to mix until well combined, then roll into 3cm meatballs. Heat one tablespoon oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook meatballs for 2-3 minutes or until browned all over. Remove meatballs from the pan and set aside.
3. Return pan to medium heat. Add onion, half the fennel, chilli, garlic, basil stems and remaining one tablespoon fennel seeds. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until softened. Pour in tomato passata and bring to the boil. Stir through balsamic vinegar and browned meatballs. Sprinkle over half the parmesan. Transfer frying pan to the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until meatballs are just cooked through.
4. Meanwhile, place stock in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over high heat. Gradually whisk in polenta. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring constantly, for 4-5 minutes or until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in butter, one tablespoon oil and remaining half the parmesan. Keep warm.
5. Combine rocket, remaining half the fennel, fennel fronds (reserve some for garnish) and basil leaves (reserve some for garnish) in a large bowl. Pour over one tablespoon oil and lemon juice. Toss to coat.
6. Divide polenta between serving bowls. Top with meatballs and sauce, then arrange rocket salad alongside. Garnish with reserved fennel fronds and basil leaves.