Thursday, 1 April 2021 / Topics:
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
150g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
100ml extra virgin olive oil
pinch of salt
4 eggs, separated
50g caster sugar, plus 50g extra
1 cinnamon quill
2 oranges, zested then segmented
8 Medjool dates, pitted and halved
1. Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Remove from the heat and stir through olive oil and a pinch of salt.
2. Whisk eggs whites in a large bowl until stiff peaks form.
3. In a separate large bowl, whisk egg yolks and 50g sugar until thick and pale.
4. Gradually pour chocolate mixture into egg yolks, whisking constantly until completely combined. Gently fold in the egg whites, one third at a time. Spoon mixture into dessert glasses or bowls and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, combine water, 50g sugar, cinnamon quill and orange zest in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to the boil, then simmer until a light syrup forms. Remove from heat and stir through oranges and dates. Allow fruit to soak int the syrup until cooled.
6. Serve chocolate mousses topped with oranges, date and a drizzle of syrup.