Thursday, 1 April 2021 / Topics:
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
1 tablespoon olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons extra
1 leek, halved lengthways, thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
40g unsalted butter
2 tablespoons plain flour
2 cups reduced-fat milk
½ cup grated tasty cheese
pinch of salt
1½ cup dried macaroni pasta
½ cauliflower, cut into small florets
⅓ cup breadcrumbs
30g parmesan, finely grated
2 rosemary sprigs, leaves picked, finely chopped
2 cup baby spinach
1 orange, peeled, cut into segments
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (fan-forced).
2. Heat one tablespoon oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook leek for 4-5 minutes or until soft and sweet smelling. Add garlic and cook for a further minute or until fragrant.
3. Add butter and cook until melted and foaming. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for a minute or until bubbling. Remove from heat. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly with a whisk to prevent lumps from forming. Return pan to medium heat. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon again, for 5 minutes or until sauce boils and thickens. Stir through grated cheese and a pinch of salt.
4. Bring a medium saucepan of water to the boil. Cook macaroni for 8 minutes or until al dente, adding cauliflower halfway. Reserve a cup of the cooking water. Drain macaroni and cauliflower and combine with cheese sauce. Add cooking water if necessary, to achieve the perfect sauce consistency. Transfer to a 6-cup capacity baking dish.
5. Combine breadcrumbs, parmesan and rosemary in a small bowl. Sprinkle over pasta and drizzle with one tablespoon oil. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden and bubbling.
6. Meanwhile, combine baby spinach, orange, white wine vinegar and remaining one tablespoon oil in a medium bowl. Toss to coat.
7. Serve macaroni and cheese hot from the oven with baby spinach salad.