Ingredients: (Serves 4)
6 Beetroot (different types if possible)
1L Reduced-salt vegetable stock
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Brown onion, diced
4 Garlic cloves, thinly sliced
6 Sprigs thyme
1 Cup Arborio rice
⅓ Cup dry white wine
60g Feta, crumbled
Fennel & Orange Salad:
1 Small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
2 Oranges, segmented
2 Tablespoons walnuts
1 Tablespoon Olive oil
2 Teaspoons white wine vinegar
2 Teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Individually wrap beetroot in alfoil and place on a baking tray. Roast for 1 hour or until tender.
- Warm stock in a saucepan. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and thyme and cook for 3-4 minutes or until soft and translucent. Stir through rice, then increase heat before adding the wine. Once the wine bubbles away add a ladle of stock at a time, waiting for each addition of stock to be absorbed before adding the next. This process will take about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally. If you run out of stock and the rice needs a little more cooking use a little hot water.
- Meanwhile, peel the skin from the beetroot whilst wearing gloves. Cut into wedges and blend four of the beetroot in a food processor until smooth. You can add a drizzle of olive oil, cream or stock to help it combine. Once the rice is al dente (soft but with a little crunch) stir in beetroot sauce.
- Combine fennel, orange and walnuts in a large bowl. Mix together oil, vinegar and mustard in a small bowl. Pour over salad and toss to coat.
- Divide risotto between serving bowls, garnish with remaining beetroot wedges, feta and fennel fronds (green leaves) and serve with orange and fennel salad.